Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe: Perfect Comfort Food
Fried chicken is a staple dish in southern cuisine and for good reason. It's crispy, juicy, and oh-so-delicious. This crispy fried chicken recipe will be a hit with the whole family and is perfect for any comfort food meal.
- 4 lbs chicken legs and thighs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Rinse the chicken legs and thighs and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix together the buttermilk and hot sauce. Add the chicken to the bowl and make sure that it's fully coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. The oil should reach 350°F on a deep-frying thermometer.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Working in batches, carefully place the chicken in the hot oil and cook for about 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Make sure not to overcrowd the pot.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken from the oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This crispy fried chicken recipe is a classic southern dish that will bring comfort to your table. The juicy meat and crispy exterior make it a winner. You can also customize this recipe by using different seasonings or adding more hot sauce for extra heat. Enjoy!